Monday, October 5, 2009

I was visiting our local library on Saturday and was met with a not entirely pleasant experience.  Upon arrival at 5:50 p.m., my family and I quickly discovered that the library was closing at 6:00 p.m.  Upon entry into the facility, it was clear that the workers were scurrying to vacate the premises.  Still, my task oriented nature in full tilt, I ventured to the information desk and asked for assistance.  The staff membered eyeballed me impatiently and chirped "the library is closing" to which I responded that it was 5:55.  I proceeded to ask her to look up a book for me and was informed that the computer had been closed out for the day.  Prior to exiting, I noted a sign perched on the desk that said that opening hours are soon to suffer a further cut back to 5:00 p.m. and when I asked the staff member about it, she informed me that it is due to "serious budget issues".    As I exited the drab facility, the thought entered my mind that this encounter vividly displayed the perils of a government operated organization.  Unmotivated workers, drab surroundings and limited services which are totally dependent, not upon happy customers, but rather the whim of whatever bureaucratic entity presides over the purse. 

Our next stop was a highly recognized corporate bookstore chain and upon entry, I was immediately struck with the light and bright dynamic appearance of the store, the staff members who appeared content to work the evening shift and the vast selection of books.  In interesting contrast between the free government option and the "evil" corporate enterprise whose sole objective of course to make obscene profits. 

Note, this little essay contains themes that may be applied to current public policy debates at your choosing.

Until next issue.

1 comment:

  1. Steven: Barbara and I loved the library analogy to current events. We AIN'T seen nothin' yet. It's going to be a long three or (God forbid) seven years.

    ReplyDelete